About Me

My photo
United States
My name is Elizabeth and I am an avid crafter. I have been making and selling my handcrafted jewelry for the past 8 years. In 2010 I rediscovered my interest in scrapbooking. I work full time in the banking field, mother to 2 beautiful girls and a wife to an awesome husband that provides support to my crafting needs. I am looking forward to sharing with you my creations and I hope you find inspiration from them.

Friday, April 26, 2013

Thrift Find - Altered Wooden Umbrella

Hi everyone!

So a couple of weeks ago I visited a thrift store. I was able to find a couple of items to alter. Tammy known on YouTube as sscrafter1 is hosting a challenge named "Altered Thrifted Find Challenge".  The challenge is to alter a new item we picked up recently (after announcing her video) at a thrift store, goodwill, flea market or at a garage sale and alter it. I decided to enter the umbrella for the challenge. Although I did not take a before shot however if you click on the video below you will see how it looked before....


After removing the old material. I gave it a good wipe then I painted the wood with white Gesso and brown acrylic paint. I did some sanding to give it a worn look. Then added beautiful pink brocade material I had picked up from the Goodwill too a few months ago. It was once a little girl's jacket but now it has another use. LOL! I then added some beautiful mauve color pom pom trim, mini rossette trim which I had added ivory color flat back pearls on every other flower on the top rim and bottom rim. I also used ivory color fused pearl trim on both rims then finished off by accenting the top of the handle with delicate laces, pearl trim and beautiful paper flowers.

Here is a pic on how it looks all beautified....


I altered this item to go with my Asian themed dinning room. The beautiful pink brocade material screamed Asian. I just love how it turned out!

Thank you for visiting!
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment